Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Looking to Learn a New Language?

WEEK 3.
 Can you believe it? Time seems to fly by so fast here, so I'm making the best effort I can to see as much as possible! When I'm not in class or out exploring, I spend most of my time looking at London blogs (the Londoner's my fav!) trying to find cool, trendy, delicious, and unique places to go. Yes I said delicious! So let me introduce you to my new food find of the week:


The name says it all! Monday night some of my new girlfriends joined me here to enjoy some delicious sushi. Dinner as you can guess was amazing and the pictures will leave your stomach growling!


While the girls started off with a bottle a wine, I chose to go a little tropical with a mixed drink called the Hotaru. This fruity concoction was a delightful mixture of rum, passion fruit, and apple! (Girl Alex, you would definitely be a fan!)

Here's some of our favorite picks from the night!

Crispy Ebi Roll
Tempura shrimp, avocado, spicy sauce, unagi sauce, rolled in sesame

 Marinated duck breast in rice paper, advocate, coriander, lettuce, cucumber, and coma dressing

Bacon wrapped asparagus

And as always, we saved room for dessert!
Chocolate fondant with a caramel heart
Fondant with caramel, peanut ice cream, and hazelnut brittle

Shall we move onto Tuesday?

 As I mentioned before, I am taking a class called London and Its Museums. This week our class journeyed to the British Museum to take a look around. 


Now let me tell you... this museum is HUGE. As I've already told many of my friends and family, I could go back there 5 more times and still not see everything.

During my class trip, our professor took us to some of the most popular exhibits in the museum. We started off looking at mummies then worked our way down through Egyptian, Greek, and Roman art. 




There was tons of vases (vah-zes) but I found to like these the best!
(Aka "The Greek Drinking Party")

After talking a stroll upstairs, we moved to the main level to look at the two exhibits I was most interested in:

The Rosetta Stone

The Rosetta Stone is known for having the key to decipher hieroglyphics inscribed on it. The writing is written in Egyptian and Greek, using three different scripts: hieroglyphic, demotic, and Greek. It was carved in 196 BC and wasn't found until 1799.

The Elgin Marbles


Where to even start with the history of these marbles? Well for one, I will assure you that they are not the circular type of marbles that I was picturing in my head! But, the main story around these marbles are that they are originally from the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. How, you may ask, did they end up in the British museum? Well that's a controversy we just don't have time for! 


As our class came to an end, I was sad that I didn't have more time to stay and explore. But I can assure you that I'll be back for much more! 


I know I spoke of Marrigje last week but I just came across this song she showed me this summer and  I just have to share it with you right now because I'm really digging' it and you would all love it too.
Whew, that was a run on...

Cold Coffee by Ed Sheeran




No comments:

Post a Comment